PPP condemns David Granger’s “waging civil war” accusation

first_imgThe Opposition – People’s Progressive Party – on Saturday condemned President David Granger’s accusation that the Party is waging “civil war” in Guyana. In a strongly-worded statement, the Party said that it was drawn to the attention of the Leader of the Opposition that “de facto President, Mr David Granger, accused the Opposition of ‘waging civil war’ in the country. He was speaking on a radio programme”.Opposition Leader, Bharrat JagdeoThe statement said that the Leader of the Opposition, Bharrat Jagdeo, unreservedly rejects this allegation and condemns such language since it is as inflammatory as it is irresponsible. According to the Party, “it is obvious that the de facto President cannot speak to a track record of accomplishments by his Government, neither can he articulate his party’s developmental plan and vision for Guyana. As a result, he resorts to such inane assertions”.It must take a special mind to perceive legitimate actions of an Opposition Party in the discharge of its constitutional duty to the citizenry, which is a norm in any democracy, as “waging civil war”, the Party said.President David Granger“Fortunately, we have a sensible and intelligent population who are very much aware of the political activism of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) in the Parliament, in the Judiciary and on the streets of this country”.According to the statement from the PPP, not a single violation of the law has ever been alleged against the PPP in relation to any of these political pursuits.“In fact, they were largely intended to get the de facto President and his recalcitrant Government to obey the Constitution, to comply with democratic norms and practices and to uphold the rule of law in our country”. The Party said that having regard to his party’s political history, Granger should be the last person to accuse anyone of “waging civil war” in Guyana.The PPP also called on the international community and the Ethnic Relations Commission to condemn this “irrational and incendiary utterance of Mr Granger”.last_img read more

Neuer, Mueller deny Ozil’s claims of racism within Germany set-up

first_imgAfter Ozil and Gundogan, who were born in Germany to Turkish parents, were booed by German fans in pre-World Cup friendlies, the latter said the meeting was not politically motivated.The 29-year-old Ozil refused to comment, only breaking his silence following Germany’s shock early exit from the finals in Russia when he quit the national team on July 22 and accused DFB president Reinhard Grindel of racism with his parting shot.However, Neuer, who is captain of both Bayern Munich and Germany, denied any claims of racism within the national team.“We’ve always tried to integrate all the players and we’ve also done everything for our teammates to make them feel good going into games,” said Neuer at Bayern’s pre-season training camp in southern Bavaria.The goalkeeper admitted Ozil’s comments have affected those who still play for Germany.– ‘Very stressful’ –“There has been a lot of back and forth with much written and said about it. Of course, it was very stressful for those who read about it,” he said.Only a handful of players have spoken about the scandal and head coach Joachim Loew is yet to comment.Mesut Ozil, who scored for Arsenal against Paris Saint Germain in a friendly last weekend in Singapore, quit the German team last month after a disastrous World Cup saying he was being made a scapegoat for racist reasons. © AFP / ROSLAN RAHMAN“In the eyes of Grindel and his supporters, I am German when we win, but I am an immigrant when we lose,” wrote Ozil in an explosive three-part statement a fortnight ago, sparking a racism storm in Germany and triggering fierce debate about integration.The Arsenal midfielder was singled out by some corners of the German media as a reason for the World Cup debacle, but Grindel, who has refused calls to resign, later refuted the racism allegations.On Friday, Neuer’s Bayern team-mate Mueller also insisted “there is no question of racism within the national team”, but accepted the saga was damaging for all protagonists.“The debate was fueled from the outside and the protagonists didn’t come out with any credit, neither on the side of the association nor the players themselves,” he said.Mueller described the saga as a “hypocritical discussion, which is supported by the media” and finds it alarming “that we spread such a topic… with relish and then we wonder why society is divided”.“We should all look at ourselves before we criticise others,” he added.– ‘Need for change’ –Thomas Mueller sees the integration debate, sparked in Germany by Mesut Ozil’s retirement from international football, as a ‘hypocritical discussion’ fuelled by the German media. © AFP / Odd ANDERSENFollowing the Ozil furore and Germany’s woeful World Cup group-stage displays, Neuer has called for a fresh start, especially for their next game against new world champions France in Munich on September 6.“It is the task of those in charge at the DFB to restructure the team and to give it a new face,” said Neuer, with Loew already promising an overhaul of the national squad.“We need to have new players, who are really proud to play for the national team and want to give everything to play for their country.“I think that there is a lot going on within the national team and the DFB. We will have to wait and see how things shape up.“The fact is that some things need to be changed.“We also have big goals in the national team and of course we want to show a different face again.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Germany’s goalkeeper Manuel Neuer has denied Mesut Ozil’s claims of racism within the German Football Association (DFB). © AFP / Christof STACHEBERLIN, Germany, Aug 3 – Germany stars Manuel Neuer and Thomas Mueller have denied that Mesut Ozil was the victim of racism within the German FA (DFB), but admitted the fiasco has taken a toll on the players.Ozil retired from international football last month amid the furore sparked in May when he and fellow midfielder Ilkay Gundogan met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, which raised questions about the pair’s loyalty to Germany.last_img read more

Greatest Highlights of Anderson Silvas Career

first_img Greatest Highlights of Anderson Silva’s Career Top Contenders for Fight of the Year Standard BJJ Gi Is Fedor Emelianenko one of the all time greats of MMA? To hear the man himself tell it, the answer is ‘no.’ He recently admitted as much, saying, “I never considered myself to the best [fighter],” in regards to his accomplishments. And it seems ‘The Last Emperor’ may have some company when it comes to downplaying his career.Top ranked UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem’s time in MMA has run alongside Fedor’s for years. Both men started out in Rings, both men first made it to Pride FC in 2002, both men ended up making the jump over to Strikeforce after Pride folded (although Overeem did so several years ahead of Fedor).After that, however, Fedor and Overeem have been on dramatically different paths. Overeem went from Strikeforce to the UFC. He had a rocky start with the promotion, but eventually fought his way to a heavyweight title shot in 2016. Fedor took a few fights after his disastrous Strikeforce run ended, then toyed with retirement. He came back in late 2015, with a pair of wins (one extremely controversial), only to end up getting KO’d by Matt Mitrione earlier this month at Bellator NYC.That last loss has been a bit of a coffin nail for some fans when it comes to Fedor’s legacy. But, it seems Overeem doesn’t feel like Fedor even had that much of one to start with. He discussed Fedor’s loss to Mitrione in a recent interview with FightHub TV (transcript via MMA Fighting):“What can you say about it?” Overeem said when asked about Fedor’s legacy. “I think Fedor had a great run in 2002-2005 and after that — people talk about 10 years undefeated and blah, blah, blah, but after 2005, who did he fight? He fought cans. He declined to fight me on two occasions, in 2009 and 2010.“The other thing is that he never tested himself in the UFC. That’s something that bothers me. He should have done that. He should have went to the UFC and went to that mix. There’s always gonna be that little thing over his career.”…“He’s not the greatest heavyweight because he declined to fight me on two occasions while I was the Strikeforce heavyweight champion,” Overeem said. “You want to fight for the belt, right? I wanted to fight him, he’s a name. And secondly, because he didn’t go to the UFC.”Overeem is set to fight Fabricio Werdum this Saturday, July 8th on the PPV portion of UFC 213. This fight marks the rubber match between the two men, who met originally in Pride, and again in Strikeforce. The card is expected to be headlined by a women’s bantamweight title fight between Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko. Wandy frustrated by Bellator NYC fight, wants Sonnen rematch in Brazil Lockdown duffle bag View all 35 stories Timeline of Israel Adesanya’s Rapid Rise to UFC Contender Nightmare Matchup for UFC’s Biggest Stars Good Night Tee Bellator NYC/Bellator 180 live results, play-by-play, analysis, highlights, more White: McGregor didn’t like my comments about Masvidal being ‘too big’ for him Standard Ranked Rashguard Overeem: After 2005, who did Fedor fight? ‘He fought cans’ Bloody Elbow In this Storystream Brock Lesnar’s WWE Future After UFC Retirement Latest From Our Partners Gloves Gordon Ryan Competition Kit Apparel Which is More Dangerous – MMA or Football? More: More From Accessories King Ryan Longsleeve Shirt Sale Bellator’s Heather Hardy talks surviving sexual assault Latest From MMA Warehouse UFC on ESPN: Covington vs. Lawler fight card White on Nunes-Cris rematch: ‘That’s the fight I want to make’ UFC 240: Fights to make ProMax 440 BJJ GI Conor lashes out at Herb Dean, says Khabib was ‘riddled in panic’ during bus attack Robert Whittaker hails ‘Wonderboy’ the best ‘outside fighter’ in MMAlast_img read more