Palace see off Foxes

first_imgLeicester were given a reality check at Selhurst Park as Crystal Palace made sure a memorable week for the Foxes ended in defeat. Having come from two goals down to beat Manchester United 5-3 last weekend, Leicester boss Nigel Pearson conceded pre-match that he now had to stop people getting over-excited with his side’s impressive start to life in the Barclays Premier League. But there was little to send the travelling contingent back to the East Midlands feeling giddy as the bite of top-flight football saw the visitors punished for a rare off-day, losing 2-0. James McArthur forced a corner after collecting a Campbell knockdown and curling in an effort, with Joe Ledley’s header from the resulting set-piece hacked off the line by Esteban Cambiasso. Schemiechel was on hand to push away an arrowing strike from Puncheon moments later as Leicester were beginning to get pegged back. Referee Keith Stroud was not endearing himself to the home fans after awarding a number of free-kicks to Leicester but he made the right decision to wave away claims for a Palace penalty as Yannick Bolasie went down under pressure from Ritchie de Laet. That proved to be the last action of note in a 45 minutes that will not live long in the memory – especially as the game burst to life at the start of the second-half. Nugent came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock early after the restart but his shot came off the legs of Joel Ward and behind for a corner. Leonardo Ulloa had been unusally quiet but he came close with a header from Cambiasso’s near-post cross, with fellow Argentinian Speroni doing just enough to prevent him scoring a sixth of the campaign. Palace also started the second half brighter and were ahead moments later as Puncheon’s deep corner was headed towards goal by Scott Dann, with Campbell scrambling it past Schemiechel from close range. The Foxes were left bewildered from the very next Puncheon set-piece as Palace skipper Jedinak this time powered home a free-kick from the left-hand side of the box to double the hosts’ advantage. Pearson’s side prospered in catching United’s defence short on the counter-attack but Vardy, the man of the match against the Red Devils, was guilty of losing possession when a ball to Nugent would have set the one-time England international through on goal. Having fallen behind, Pearson responded by introducing Danny Simpson, Riyad Mahrez and Matty James from the bench, while Marouane Chamakh made his comeback from a hamstring injury for the hosts. Ulloa saw a late effort bravely blocked by Damien Delaney but overall t he alterations did not bring about a change in fortunes for Leicester, who suffered just their second league defeat of the season and fall behind Palace in the table as a result. For Palace boss Neil Warnock, this was a second win in six days as goals from Fraizer Campbell and Mile Jedinak settled an encounter which inherently lacked the quality both sides showed in causing upsets last Sunday. Leicester capitalised on some wayward defending to seal their headline-making win over United last weekend but today they found themselves wanting at the back. Following a timid first half which was played as though both sides were set up not to lose, Palace struck twice in three minutes shortly after the interval. The Eagles have now taken eight points from Warnock’s four league games in charge as the 65-year-old recalled all 11 players who had started the 3-2 win at Everton. Leicester, too, were unchanged but their feet were brought firmly back to the ground in south London as they failed to reach the heights of recent weeks. James Vardy, the catalyst for Leicester’s heroic comeback, had the game’s first chance but could not beat Julian Speroni, who did well to keep out a driven effort. Campbell also passed up a good opportunity to open the scoring but headed Jason Puncheon’s free-kick straight at Kasper Schemiechel in the Foxes’ goal. Palace were becoming an ever-increasing attacking threat. Press Associationlast_img read more

Yadram, Royal salvage win for Young Windies

first_imgPIETERMARITZBURG, South Africa (CMC) – Opener Bhaskar Yadram struck a critical half-century but West Indies Under-19 were forced to overcome a late innings slump before pulling off a two-wicket win over South Africa Under-19s in the second Youth One-Day International here yesterday.Set a modest 208 for victory, the Young Windies were coasting along at 165 for three in the 39th over but suffered a collapse where five wickets tumbled for 35 runs in the space of 31 balls.Tottering on 200 for eight in the 44th, the Caribbean side were rescued by the lion-hearted Jeavor Royal who ended unbeaten on 31 off 17 deliveries, to take the team over the line.Yadram had earlier top-scored with 81 off 116 balls while captain Emmanuel Stewart chipped in with 45 off 69 balls.Sixteen-year-old fast bowler Gerald Coetzee led the attack with two for 55. The South Africans had been limited to 207 for eight off their 50 overs, after opting to bat first at City Oval, with wicketkeeper Wandile Makwetu top-scoring with 53 and openers Matthew Breetzke (37) and Jiveshan Pillay (36) playing supporting roles.Left-arm spinner Joshua Bishop claimed two for 30 from his 10 overs while Royal, also a left-arm spinner, laid the groundwork for his eventual all-round display with two for 34.The hosts got a healthy start from Breetzke and Pillay, the pair adding 81 for the first wicket before Royal’s introduction triggered a collapse where four wickets perished for nine runs in the space of 38 deliveries.Rocking on 90 for four, South Africa’s innings was repaired by Makwetu who faced 68 balls and counted four fours, while adding 38 for the fifth wicket with Hermann Rolfes (19), 25 for the seventh with Coetzee (7) and 23 for the ninth with Kenan Smith (19 not out).The 17-year-old Yadram then gave the visitors a solid start, putting on 43 for the first wicket with Keagan Simmons (14) and a further 75 with Stewart for the second wicket.Yadram struck eight fours and a six while Stewart counted five fours in his knock. They were separated when Stewart was run-out in the 31st over and nine balls Cephas Cooper was lbw to Coetzee for two, to leave the Windies on 122 for three in the 33rd over.The right-handed Yadram found an ally in Kirstan Kallicharan, who made 21, to add 43 for the fourth wicket and put Windies on course again.However, once Yadram perished in the 39th over, the innings went into a tail-spin before Royal arrived on his rescue mission which included five fours and a six. He lashed leg-spinner Jade de Klerk for a four and a six in the 44th over which cost 10 runs and punched two boundaries in the 45th from Coetzee, to finish the game emphatically.The five-match series is tied 1-1, with the next game scheduled for tomorrow at the same venue.last_img read more

Trojan Family praises 11th USC president

first_imgAfter two months in office, university President C.L. Max Nikias’ leadership and communication with students has received positive reviews from student leaders and administrative officials.Hands on · President C.L. Max Nikias has met with the Undergraduate Student Government to discuss students’ goals and concerns for the year. – Tim Tran | Daily Trojan Nikias took office on Aug. 3, but will be inaugurated today as the university’s 11th president.“He really cares about the experience students have at this university,” said Nehi Ogbevoen, vice president of the Undergraduate Student Government. “He understands that we are truly here for more than a degree, but this is also where we eat, sleep, network and learn outside of the classroom.”Ogbevoen said Nikias has taken the time to sit down with USG and discuss student concerns.Nikias has also been receptive to graduate students, said Graduate and Professional Student Senate President Jenny Novak.“After his appointment to office he called a meeting to meet with the GPSS Exec Board regarding our agenda for the upcoming year and our greatest concerns as graduate students,” Novak said. “I have been impressed by his accessibility and his enthusiasm for his new position.”Novak said the president has supported GPSS’ goal of providing housing for first-year graduate students, along with other projects.“We would like to work with him to expand summer funding opportunities for Ph.D. students, as well as give graduate students more teaching opportunities on campus to make us more competitive on the job market,” she said.Administrators said they have also felt that Nikias is an effective leader who is willing to connect with all members of the university.“On a personal level, his energy and enthusiasm for USC are really incredible,” said Jean Morrison, executive vice provost for academic affairs. “He understands the DNA of the university and because of that is able to lead the university to really great new places.”The president sponsored a welcome event for Ph.D. students and scholars that was an important occasion to speak to students, Morrison said.“He really gets the fundamental character of USC,” Morrison said. “We are incredibly fortunate to have Max Nikias as our new president.”At the beginning of his presidency, Nikias said one of his goals was to regularly connect with students by hosting afternoon teas, of which student leaders said they have enjoyed.“He has been more than willing to take time of his extremely busy day to sit down with us and listen to issues that we find important,” Ogbevoen said. “I love the intimate teas that he has with students, really makes us feel special. It is amazing how receptive he is with our ideas.”Jonathan Munoz-Proulx, a senior majoring in theatre, said Nikias has been influential in many aspects of the university, from engineering to arts.“I’m a huge fan of President Sample,” Munoz-Proulx. “I didn’t think it could ever get better, but Max Nikias is doing an incredible job.”last_img read more

Women’s hoops drops 3rd straight 69-51 to Washington State

first_imgWashington State senior Rosetta Adzasu, the Cougars starting point guard who suffered a concussion in practice on Thursday, was reduced to a spectator against the Badgers Friday night. She probably enjoyed what she saw.The Washington State offense did not miss a beat Friday, shooting 58 percent from the field and lighting up the Kohl Center in a 69-51 win over Wisconsin. It was a game that looked like Washington State couldn’t miss, as the team received scoring contributions from nine of its players, four of whom recorded double figures.Perhaps the entire night was summed up on a desperation long three-point heave by Washington State guard Tia Presley at the shot clock buzzer in the final minute of the game.For Wisconsin head coach Bobbie Kelsey, it was a shooting performance she had never seen from her old conference foe during her time at Stanford.“They were hot and we had some lapses defensively,” Kelsey said. “I know that one shot by Presley she put up she just threw it up and it went in. So that’s the kind of night they were having. I’ve never seen them that hot because I’ve scouted them for four years.”Although the Cougars struggled to begin the game, falling behind 12-4 early, the iron eventually became very kind.Washington State ran a combination of flare entries and double staggered screens for their backcourt all night, as the Cougar guards found themselves with separation to contributed 53 of the team’s 61 total points.“Our offensive execution has not been good yet out of the gate,” Washington State head coach June Daugherty said. “But this is a very unselfish team that’s led by some very good seniors. I love the fact that our front line will sacrifice their bodies and set those flares and double staggers to get our shooters open. Our posts do a good job of making those guards have some free looks.”While the Cougars were on fire offensively, the team transferred the heat to the defensive game as well. The Badgers struggled to find a good look against the suffocating pressure defense of the Cougars guards.Struggling at times to find an open shot, the Wisconsin guards felt Washington State breathing down their neck all game, as the Cougars’ ball pressure frustrated the Badgers, forcing 15 turnovers and stealing the ball 11 times.“We didn’t have our best pressure out there tonight just because of the concussion to Adzasu,” Daugherty said. “But I thought April Cook was solid, you’re not going to get past her. She’s one of the better athletes in the Pac-12. We’re long, we’re quick and athletic and we try to take advantage of that. We try to extend the passing lanes and make it tough to get it inside if the ball gets to the wing.”While Wisconsin committed its lowest total turnover count of the season, the Badgers struggled to find a good look all night, as the Cougars defense routinely forced the shot clock down to 10 seconds or less.“They’re very aggressive on defense,” sophomore Morgan Paige said. “They like to get up in the passing lanes and make you turn the ball over. It gets under your skin a little bit but you have to rely on your teammates to be open, make dribble entry passes and make adjustments in the offense. Sometimes we didn’t do that and sometimes we did a really good job with it.”For Kelsey, the Badgers put themselves in a hole by not getting the ball across half-court in due time.“We have to get in our offense faster,” Kelsey said. “If you notice when we get picked up full court and we get to our side, there’s like 18 seconds left. That’s a problem; if they pick up full court we try to give the guard a screen so we can initiate the offense, which was a problem tonight.“We missed a lot of people who were open. Some folks were just wide open, either we couldn’t see them or we had our heads down. When we watch this tape they’re going to see that the back pass was there all night and we never took advantage of it. But they did. We finally started hitting that pass at the end, but it was too late.”last_img read more