Financial analysts reported Monday night that South Burlington’s pension funding shortfall is still over $8 million, but noted solid gains in attempts to shore up the plan’s finances.According to an annual update for the City Council by Tracy Braun of Peoples United Retirement Services and Annie Voldman of Annie Voldman, a consulting actuary, the unfunded part of the municipal retirement fund dropped approximately $800,000 below last year’s $8.9 million shortfall.During the past decade, elected officials seemingly weren’t aware of the fund’s downward slide until they were revealed by new City Manager Sandy Miller. Paying the unfunded part of the plan through a low-interest bond was a strategy introduced during the council’s discussions.Public safety pensions have played a notably large role in the unfunded obligation, says the report summary. Starting this past July, the whole plan was 57 percent funded. However, only 52 percent of public safety pensions were funded compared to 72 percent for nonpublic safety employees.The fund’s assets, according to Voldman, increased by more than $2 million over last year, but increased expenses prevented the shortfall from continuing to shrink.
(WBNG) — Federal leaders are trying to tackle a very local problem here in the Southern Tier. “That internet connection is huge and is unfortunately an obstacle in some of our remote areas,” said Tim Ryan, superintendent of the Bainbridge-Guilford Central School District. Brindisi added the fight for internet access is a big one for rural communities. Officials said this is particularly important as the school year inches near. “This crisis is hurting our economy, our small businesses, our families, and our children,” Rep. Brindisi said. “Shockingly, the Federal Communications Commission doesn’t even know what areas have access to broadband and what areas don’t.” Brindisi said the reason the federal government has such a poor understanding of who has broadband access because of the way they measure it. Currently, if one household in a community has access, the federal government determines the entire community has access, something Brindisi said doesn’t accurately represent community access. The big takeaway is New York’s 22nd congressional district, which stretches from Utica to Binghamton, has the slowest internet in the state. He said it will take action on a local and national level to solve this. Ryan said 15-20 families in his district have inadequate access to broadband. Congressman Anthony Brindisi announced Monday the results of a broadband survey from across the region.
– Advertisement – One of the biggest problems that Donald Trump is facing in his attempts to thwart democracy and successfully pull off a coup d’état is that the jurisdictions he is accusing of massive voter fraud and failure are under the control of Republican Party officials. These officials have been given nothing even approximating evidence that a single example of voter fraud took place, let alone massive voter fraud.On Wednesday, Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich went on Fox News with Neil Cavuto to explain that even if the Trump administration could prove that their claims are true—and that is an “if” the size of a planet—it still wouldn’t turn Arizona from blue to red. Cavuto said, “Believe me, Attorney General, I admire your nerves of steel and a backbone to match … because a lot of people are not going to digest this very nice.” He asked Brnovich to be clear about what he was saying. Brnovich tried to be as clear as possible. Spoiler alert: Donald Trump lost big time.- Advertisement –
Read also: Eight named suspects in sexual assault of now-deceased minor in TangerangHe explained that the boys had not come forward or told their parents earlier because they were either afraid or were not aware that they had been abused.Some victims reportedly experienced psychological trauma.”Some victims are experiencing anger issues. We’re currently working to help them and their families recover through counseling and therapy. It’s our main concern at the moment,” he said.Tigor said the church was still investigating the case further to possibly uncover more victims.”We hope the Depok Police will also develop the case, because even though our investigation has revealed 20 victims, only two of them have reported the abuse to the police,” he said.Depok Police chief Sr. Comr. Azis Andriansyah said SPM had been arrested on Sunday. A preliminary investigation suggested that the alleged abuse had taken place in the church area.“He would pretend to ask his victims to tidy up tools, but he instead molested them,” Azis said as reported by kompas.com on Monday.SPM was charged under law No. 35/2014 on child protection, which carries a maximum sentence of 15 years of imprisonment. Topics : Police have arrested a 42-year-old church caretaker from Pancoran Mas district in Depok, West Java, over alleged sexual abuse.Parents had reported “suspicious behavior” of the caretaker, identified only as SPM, said Azas Tigor Nainggolan, the alleged victims’ attorney.”He often kissed and hugged the boys and put them on his lap. Some parents also claimed that he verbally bullied the kids,” Tigor told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.The parents reported their suspicions to the church pastor, who conducted an internal investigation. Afterward, some 20 boys reportedly came forward and said they had been molested by SPM.”The investigation revealed that SPM has been abusing kids since 2002. All the victims are male, aged 11-15,” Tigor said.
BVI, the German association of insurers, investment companies and building societies, has presented a five-point plan aimed at radically simplifying the retirement system. The aim is to deliver better returns and to lower costs for savers, thus encouraging a stronger uptake.The disclosure was triggered by the extremely low interest rates environment and a stagnating uptake, which are making a reform of state-sponsored private retirement plans a matter of urgent necessity.The BVI is suggesting that:standard retirement products should be made as simple and easy to understand investment choices and, therefore, offered at a lower cost;there should be an attractive and transparent form of state funding that can be intuitively understood by everyone: each euro paid in by the saver is topped up by at least 50 cents;state-sponsored private retirement plans should be available to everyone – including the self-employed;a relaxation of the guarantee of total gross contributions shoudl be in place in order to boost return opportunities for savers;a general simplification of the procedure for granting bonuses in order to reduce the number of bonuses clawed back each year (currently some 800,000) by more than 90%. BVI is asking the German government to call an early meeting with providers in order to realise its aim of strengthening private retirement planning by the first half of 2020. The proposed reform initiatives offer considerable cost-cutting potential. Close cooperation between providers and the government is vital in order to achieve this, BVI stated.The association sees ongoing development of the current system as being a substantially more convincing reform approach than switching to a different system altogether.Suggestions, such as a virtually compulsory Deutschland-Rente, as proposed by the Government of the Federal State of Hesse, or the “extra pension” advocated by the Federation of German Consumer Organisations (vzbv), place a burden on employers.A radical change to the system, more or less compulsory, without minimum protection for investors, would produce considerable insecurity among the population, the BVI concluded.
Clarence H. Kaiser, 87, of Lawrenceburg, Indiana, passed away Sunday, August 7, 2016 in Lawrenceburg, IN,He was born February 28, 1929 in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, son of the late Herman F. Kaiser and late Anna Marie Elizabeth Theiman Kaiser.Clarence served his Country as a member of the United States Air Force during the Korean Conflict. He also served proudly on the Honor Guard for military funerals.Clarence was a lifetime member of St. John’s Lutheran Church Aurora. He was also past President of the County Farm Bureau Board and held several offices throughout the years. He worked at Seagram’s Distillery from 1947-1950, then went into the Air Force from 1950-1953. Clarence worked for GE from 1953 to 1988, retiring after 35 years of service. He enjoyed farming and working on automobiles.Surviving are children, Jeanine (Johnny) Moore, Robert (Pam) Kaiser, Richard (Fran)Kaiser, William (Michelle) Kaiser and Ruth Adcock; grandchildren, Jody, Alisha, Laura, Rachel, Tiffany, Jessica, Andrew, Elizabeth, Shana, Shiloh, Benjamin, Christopher, Jacob, Jonathon, Ashlee, Whitney, Jim, Derek, Carly,Kendra, and Robyn; 30 great grandchildren and 3 great-great grandchildren.He was preceded in death by his parents, loving wife of over 59 years, Wanda Rudisell Kaiser, brother, Howard Kaiser, sister, Anna Mae Cole and a daughter Phyllis Ann Kaiser Smith.Friends will be received 5:00-8:00 pm Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at the St John’s Lutheran Church, 220 Mechanic Street, Aurora, IN.Services will be held at the church, Wednesday at 11:00 am with Pastor Edward Davis officiating.Interment will follow in the St. John’s Lutheran Cemetery, Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Military graveside services will be conducted by members of local Veterans Service Organizations.Contributions may be made to the St. John Lutheran Church or School. If unable to attend, please call the office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.com
MOHAVE VALLEY, Ariz. – Walt Carter was so sure the IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds would find their niche at his new Mohave Valley Raceway in 1993 that he agreed to sanction the class knowing there weren’t even any local cars in the class at the time.More than two decades later, Mohave Valley is now the longest continuously sanctioned race track in Arizona. The 1/3-mile clay venue has averaged 23 Modified entries for its first seven every-other-Saturday night shows so far in 2015.“I met with (former IMCA president) Kathy Root, liked what she had to say, told her I was in it for the long haul and I’ve been sanctioned for 23 years,” said Carter, who prefers the title track owner and operator to that of promoter. “I jumped on early because I saw the value in what I call a spec car. I looked at the Modified as a division that wouldn’t be going away. I hitched my future to the IMCA Modified.”After managerial stints at Riverside International Raceway in California, which gave way to a housing development, and Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Carter built Mohave Valley from the ground up in 1992 and opened the following spring.Modified car counts were in the single digits during those early seasons but Carter stuck with the division, which developed into a local fan favorite.“The crowds like Modifieds. They’re a different kind of race car and more fun to watch from the fans’ standpoint,” he said. “IMCA Modifieds are pretty much my featured division. High-dollar traveling shows don’t pay the bills. Weekly shows have always been my bread and butter and always will be.”“I like the consistency of IMCA’s rules and that Modifieds are still affordable to so much of the racing public,” continued Carter. “We’ve got guys racing with 15-year-old cars and having just as much fun as the guys with the latest and greatest.”Mohave’s entry-level classes run on the Hoosier G60 tire and use IMCA’s 40-point system. Running every other week and closing during the scorching summer months – rather than lose money on the front gate – are ideas that have caught on with other tracks in the region.“Our schedule and our business are dictated by economics. I run what I think works and the fact that we’ve been here for 23 years proves that it does,” Carter stated. “It’s not rocket science. The hardest part of any business is that you’ve got to know your market, and you’ve got to have a good relationship with your customers.”Accomplishing both, he cautions, can’t be done overnight.“There is no instant success in this business. Running a race track is what I think of as a grind-out business. Some weeks you have good weeks, some weeks you don’t. You have to look at the big picture,” Carter said. “IMCA is built around the Saturday night track in a small market. The IMCA model works for me.”
FIFA’s disciplinary chief Claudio Sulser has said the Liverpool striker would be allowed to have a medical ahead of any transfer but the world governing body has stressed he cannot train with a team. A FIFA spokeswoman told Press Association Sport: “As said at various occasions he is not allowed to participate in any football activity during the ban period and as such is also not allowed to train with the team during the ban.” Uruguay striker Suarez has appealed against the four-month ban imposed for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini. Liverpool remain in talks with Barcelona over the transfer of Suarez, and Sulser on Friday told a news conference that the player would be allowed to have a medical ahead of a transfer. Sulser said: “The player cannot have any activity related to football, but a medical examination for a transfer yes – the sanction is not linked to transfer rights.” Press Association FIFA has re-iterated that Luis Suarez will not be allowed to train during his four-month ban for biting despite reports to the contrary.
Poyet told the club’s official website, www.safc.com: “Steven is okay – it was not nice at all watching the game and seeing Fletch coming off. “Naturally as human beings, we always think the worst, but we got in contact straight away with him and the Scottish medical staff, who were very good. “They sent him back to us and we have done everything possible, so I will say I am 100 per cent sure he will play on Saturday.” Sunderland striker Steven Fletcher will be fit for Saturday’s Barclays Premier League trip to Leicester despite returning early from international duty. Press Association The 27-year-old Scotland international returned to Wearside after undergoing a scan on the ankle he damaged in Friday night’s 1-0 Euro 2016 victory over the Republic of Ireland, and was therefore unavailable for the 3-1 friendly defeat by England four days later. However, Black Cats head coach Gus Poyet has confirmed that his worst fears proved unfounded and he expects to have his first-choice frontman available at the weekend.