Floods hit Jakarta after heavy rainfall in capital, upstream areas

first_imgFloods have inundated several parts of Jakarta due to heavy rainfall that occurred in the capital and its upstream areas on Monday. The authorities have also alerted residents near the Ciliwung riverbanks to stay cautious.The Jakarta Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) reported that 49 neighborhood units were still inundated by floodwaters as of Tuesday morning.The flooding ranged from 10 to 100 centimeters high in 23 areas of East Jakarta and from 10 to 80 cm high in 14 neighborhoods of West Jakarta. Meanwhile, 10 areas of South Jakarta as well as one area of each North and Central Jakarta were inundated by floodwaters from 20 to 50 cm high. Jakarta BPBD information and communication center head Raditya Jati said the most flooding had occurred in West Cengkareng subdistrict, Cengkareng, Banten, where the waters reached 10 to 30 cm high. Kompas.com also reported that, as of Tuesday morning, 32 roads in West Jakarta and North Jakarta were still inundated by floodwaters, including several roads in West Cengkareng, where the flooding was around 10 to 30 cm high.The regional disaster agency noted that 15 people had been forced out of their homes as a result of the floods. Read also: Rainy season to start at end of October: BMKGDisaster mitigation officers have prepared four evacuation points, namely Riyadhul Saadah Mosque in Kembangan Utara, West Jakarta, as well as PT Delta Laras Wisata’s office building, official residences and the Rawajati community health center in Rawajati, South Jakarta.“The daily weather forecast from the BMKG [Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency] has estimated that there will still be light rain in Jakarta today,” Raditya said in a statement on Tuesday.In Monday’s press conference, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan said the capital’s upstream regions had also experienced heavy rain, causing the Katulampa sluice gate in Bogor, West Java to reach its highest warning level with the water level exceeding 200 cm for around 20 to 30 minutes.Following the warning level, Anies said he ordered authorities to alert residents around the banks of the Ciliwung River, which flows through Jakarta and West Java.“We are […] preparing shelters in case they get hit by a flood. And this time it’s a bit different because the shelters have to comply with COVID-19 health protocols,” Anies said, adding that water gates in the capital were supervised to ensure waters from the upstream region could run smoothly.Bogor Mayor Bima Arya also warned his residents near the Ciliwung River to be on alert, with the city having 13 subdistricts situated on the riverbanks.Topics :last_img read more

UN needs ‘immediate infusion’ of $15 billion for global vaccine fund

first_img‘Window of opportunity’ “These resources are crucial now to avoid losing the window of opportunity for advance purchase and production, to build stocks in parallel with licensing, to boost research, and to help countries prepare to optimize the new vaccines when they arrive,” Guterres said.”Despite extraordinary efforts to contain its spread, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to ravage the world, reaching one million lives lost this week,” he added.”It is in every country’s national and economic self-interest to work together to massively expand access to tests and treatments, and to support a vaccine as a global public good.”Addressing the summit, Bill Gates announced his foundation had signed a new agreement with 16 biotech firms to expand global access to vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics.Gates said that the world was on the brink of a “great scientific achievement” in the form of a vaccine.But he added that the world’s low and low middle income countries, which made up nearly half of the global population, were only on track to cover 14 percent of their people with a COVID-19 vaccine.Alex Gorsky, the CEO of Johnson and Johnson, which is part of the agreement with the Gates Foundation, told the summit his company planned to allocate 500 million vaccine doses for lower income countries by the middle of next year.WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus said he was “grateful for the generous financial commitments made” but added there remained a “significant funding gap to close.” Britain’s foreign minister Dominic Raab said his country, which has committed 250 million pounds ($320 million), would spend another pound for every four dollars committed by others, up to an additional 250 million pounds.Sweden’s Prime Minister Stefan Lofven pledged $10 million while Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau touted a Can$440 million ($332 million) commitment made last week, half of which will go to low or middle-income countries.The World Bank’s president David Malpass said he had proposed “up to $12 billion of fast-track financing” to countries for the purchase and deployment of COVID-19 vaccine, also previously announced. Topics :center_img UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called Wednesday for an “immediate infusion” of $15 billion to a global pool for the procurement and distribution of COVID-19 vaccines at a virtual summit hosted by the world body.The ACT-Accelerator, led by the World Health Organization, has received around $3 billion of the $38 billion needed to meet the goal of producing and delivering two billion vaccine doses, 245 million treatments and 500 million diagnostic tests over the next year.Notable new pledges included an additional 100 million euros ($117 million) by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, beyond the 675 million euros Germany has already committed.last_img read more

Landmark day-night Test..

first_imgBroad elcipses Botham as England thrash Windies in just three daysBIRMINGHAM, England (Reuters) – Stuart Broad hogged the limelight in the dark as England routed a hopelessly outclassed West Indies in the landmark day-night Test match at Edgbaston, wrapping up victory by an innings and 209 runs on Saturday.Broad became the second most prolific wicket taker in English Test history, taking his 384th scalp on a remarkable day for the home attack as they shared around 19 wickets to put the visitors’ callow batting line-up to the sword.The paceman went past Ian Botham’s haul of 383 wickets while ripping the heart out of the visitors’ second innings to move to second on the England all-time list behind his strike partner James Anderson, who also enjoyed a big day.Watching in the Sky Sports commentary box amid an excited full-house enjoying the conclusion to the first day-night Test to be staged in England, Botham enthused: “It’s fantastic.“It would have been an anti-climax (for Broad) to do it in Leeds in (the second Test) with the atmosphere as great as it is here.”The great all-rounder then added with a laugh: “It just makes me feel bloody old!”On a cold, damp day, England had been, first, inspired by Anderson and Toby Roland-Jones as they forced the Windies to follow on, bowling them out for 168 by early in the post-lunch session in response to England’s mammoth 514 for eight declared.Anderson had led the charge with three wickets and a run-out. Then with the floodlights on and the pink ball wobbling around, captain Joe Root naturally invited the Windies to endure further nightmares.This time Anderson and Roland-Jones, who had also taken two first-innings wickets, soon struck again before Broad stole the show as the Windies once more crumbled, this time being bowled out for 137.Having taken tea with four down in their second innings and already resigned to going one down in the three-test series, Broad, watched in the crowd by his father, former England batsman Chris Broad, chose his moment to move from support act to main man.The hors d’oeuvre was two wickets in two balls, first trapping Roston Chase lbw and then having captain Jason Holder caught at slip by Alastair Cook, to equal Botham’s mark, only to be thwarted in his bid to be the first man ever to take three test hat-tricks by Kemar Roach’s straight bat.Then, he produced a beauty that nipped back to bowl Shane Dowrich, a fitting record-breaking delivery before he went on to finish with figures of 3-34.England’s all-time leading wicket taker Anderson and Roland-Jones, continuing the excellent start to his test career, then finished the job, with the Middlesex bowler securing the final wicket as Ben Stokes snaffled Alzarri Joseph at slip.Only Jermaine Blackwood came out of the debacle with much credit for the West Indies with his laudable, counter-attacking 79 not out in the first innings amid the carnage.Anderson, who had set the ball rolling with the first wicket on Friday, continued where he left off after a false start when the players had to come off after just one ball because of rain.On the resumption, he produced a sharp, rearing delivery off a length that had Kyle Hope helplessly steering the ball to Stokes at gully to set the tone for the day.He also then ran out Kieran Powell, who had embarked on a calamitous quick single, with a direct hit before he got rid of Chase, inducing him to play on.Only Jamaican Blackwood, who struck two sixes and nine fours, stood firm with his 49-ball half-century, going on to his 79 off just 76 balls.Anderson finished with 3-34 off his 15 overs in the first innings with Roland-Jones and Broad both taking two wickets apiece.Cook, who won the man of the match award for his epic 10-hour 243 that had set up the win, said with a smile: “This is unbelievable for an old man like me. It’s always nice to win and contribute with a big score.”ENGLAND 1st innings 514 for 8 decl (A. Cook 243, J. Root 136, D. Malan 65; R. Chase 4-113) West Indies 1st innings (Overnight: 44-1)K. Brathwaite c Bairstow b Anderson 0K. Powell run out (Anderson) 20K. Hope c Stokes b Anderson 25S. Hope b Roland-Jones 15R. Chase b Anderson 0J. Blackwood not out 79S. Dowrich lbw b Roland-Jones 4J. Holder c Bairstow b Ali 11K. Roach b Broad 5A. Joseph lbw b Broad 6M. Cummins run out (Westley) 0Extras (lb-1 w-2) 3Total (all out, 47 overs) 168Fall of wickets: 1-0 K. Brathwaite,2-45 K. Hope,3-47 K. Powell,4-47 R. Chase,5-89 S. Hope,6-101 S. Dowrich,7-129 J. Holder,8-134 K. Roach,9-162 A. Joseph,10-168 M. CumminsBowling: J. Anderson 15 – 6 – 34 – 3(w-1),S. Broad 16 – 3 – 47 – 2, T. Roland-Jones 6 – 0 – 31 – 2(w-1),B. Stokes 7 – 0 – 40 – 0,M. Ali 3 – 1 – 15 – 1.WEST INDIES 2nd inningsK. Brathwaite lbw b Ali 40K. Powell c Cook b Anderson 10K. Hope lbw b Roland-Jones 12S. Hope c Root b Stokes 4R. Chase lbw b Broad 24J. Blackwood st Bairstow b Ali 12S. Dowrich b Broad 5J. Holder c Cook b Broad 0K. Roach b Anderson 12A. Joseph c Stokes b Roland-Jones 8M. Cummins not out 0Extras (b-9 lb-1) 10Total (all out, 45.4 overs) 137Fall of wickets: 1-15 K. Powell,2-41 K. Hope,3-60 S. Hope,4-76 K. Brathwaite,5-102 J. Blackwood,6-104 R. Chase,7-104 J. Holder,8-115 S. Dowrich,9-137 K. Roach,10-137 A. JosephBowling: J. Anderson 7 – 2 – 12 – 2,S. Broad 10 – 4 – 34 – 3,T. Roland-Jones 6.4 – 3 – 18 – 2,B. Stokes 9 – 4 – 9 – 1,M. Ali 13 – 2 – 54 – 2.last_img read more

Jamaican government urges US to retain DACA

first_imgJamaican Embassy In US monitoring The Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Senator Kamina Johnson Smith advised that the Ministry, through its Jamaican Embassy in Washington D.C., has been actively monitoring the developments relating to DACA.She explained that “the Embassy has been using diplomatic channels to sensitize persons who are part of the decision-making process of the benefits of the program to the young people concerned on the one hand, and on the other hand, the potential adverse socio-economic implications of any decision taken to remove these young nationals.”In these engagements, emphasis is also placed on the impact that such an adverse decision would have on curtailing the desire and ability of these youngsters to become outstanding citizens of the United States.The Ministry affirmed that through the Embassy, it will continue its sensitization and advocacy on behalf of the young Dreamers of Jamaican descent, as it seeks a favorable outcome from the deliberations of the US Congress. 6000 Jamaicans impactedThe Ministry is mindful that approximately 6000 of Jamaican nationals are included among those who will be impacted by this decision. In a statement, the ministry indicated it is the government’s sincere hope that the U.S Congress will be able to reach a timely consensus on this matter. Such a positive outcome would afford these young Jamaicans involved the opportunity to remain legally in the United States, the country they have come to call home for many years, and in which they wish to apply their acquired skills. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade in Jamaica has taken note of the decision by the U.S Authorities relating to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) program.last_img read more