Passenger Holds Gun to Indian American Uber Driver’s Head, Goes on Racist Rant

first_imgAn Indian American Uber driver was subjected to a racist rant as a passenger held a gun to his head near Moline, Illinois. While a police complaint was lodged and a suspect has been identified, no arrests have been made in the case so far, IndiaWest reported.Gurjeet Singh, a Sikh who had been driving for Uber for only a month before the attack on Jan. 28, told the publication that he prayed to God as he felt that he was “going to die that night.”Singh is the head priest of the gurudwara at Silvis, Illinois, and sports a turban and beard. He said that he picked up the attacker and his wife from a bar in Moline. Their house was 8 km away.The attacker sat on the seat next to him, while his wife sat at the back. He asked Singh questions about his background and then, his immigration status. He asked: “Do you serve our country or do you serve your country?”Singh told him that as his family lives in India, he serves both. “This pissed him off. He put a gun on my head and said he doesn’t like turbans. I was very nervous. It was late night and there was no one else on the road,” he told IndiaWest.When Singh pulled over to the side of the road, the suspect’s wife reached across to open the door and pushed her husband out of the car onto the side of the road, according to the Sikh Coalition, the report added. “She insisted to Mr. Singh that he drive her home and leave her husband on the ground to walk home later. Mr. Singh, completely shaken, took the woman to her home. Upon getting out of the car, she did tell Mr. Singh to find a different route back, however Mr. Singh was not familiar with the area and could not figure out how to get back another way,” said the Sikh Coalition in an e-mail to IndiaWest.As the drivers and passengers can only contact Uber through the app, Singh texted the company once he got home. He received a message from Uber saying the passenger account has been deactivated. “After the police arrest him, maybe I will drive again,” Singh told the publication.“The safety of driver-partners and riders is a top priority. If any incidents are reported, we do everything we can to support local authorities with their investigation,” Uber spokeswoman Kayla Whaling was quoted as saying in the report. “We will cooperate with law enforcement and provide any information to them that would be helpful. I can also confirm we have spoken to the driver following his report to us.” Related ItemsIllinoisIndian AmericanUberlast_img read more

Rolling Stones duo give backing to Mick Jagger as tour postponed

first_imgTopics The Rolling Stones This article is more than 3 months old Share on Twitter Share on WhatsApp Share on Facebook Canada Read more Share on Twitter The Rolling Stones postpone tour due to Mick Jagger’s health Since you’re here… Support The Guardian Share on Messenger Sir Mick Jagger’s Rolling Stones bandmates have expressed their support for the 75-year-old frontman after he announced he was pulling out of a tour of the US and Canada because of an undisclosed medical problem.Jagger, who follows a strict diet and fitness regime, said he was “devastated” to let down the band’s fans after he announced the group were postponing the North American leg of their tour on doctor’s orders. Mick Jagger This article is more than 3 months old Share via Email Mick Jagger (centre), with Ron Wood (left) and Keith Richards. The singer said he was ‘devastated’ to let down the band’s fans.Photograph: Morris MacMatzen/Reuters … we have a small favour to ask. The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Rolling Stones duo give backing to Mick Jagger as tour postponed Matthew Taylor Pop and rock Share on LinkedIn The Rolling Stones The singer has been told he needs medical treatment but doctors said they expected him to make a full recovery. No further details about his condition were released.Jagger’s bandmates were quick to voice their support. Keith Richards, who has been at the singer’s side since the band formed in 1962, tweeted: “A big disappointment for everyone but things need to be taken care of and we will see you soon. Mick, we are always there for you!”The guitarist Ronnie Wood added: “We’ll miss you over the next few weeks, but we’re looking forward to seeing you all again very soon. Here’s to Mick – thanks for your supportive messages it means to much to us.”A statement on behalf of the group said: “Unfortunately today the Rolling Stones have had to announce the postponement of their upcoming US/Canada tour dates – we apologise for any inconvenience this causes those who have tickets to shows but wish to reassure fans to hold on to these existing tickets, as they will be valid for rescheduled dates, which will be announced shortly.“Mick has been advised by doctors that he cannot go on tour at this time, as he needs medical treatment. The doctors have advised Mick that he is expected to make a complete recovery so that he can get back on stage as soon as possible.”In a tweet, Jagger said: “I’m so sorry to all our fans in America and Canada with tickets. I really hate letting you down like this. I’m devastated for having to postpone the tour but I will be working very hard to be back on stage as soon as I can. Once again, huge apologies to everyone.”The band were due to kick off the US and Canada leg of their No Filter tour at the Hard Rock stadium in Miami, Florida on 20 April, finishing at the Burl’s Creek Event Grounds in Ontario, Canada, on 29 June. Share via Email news Share on Facebook Sun 31 Mar 2019 10.38 EDT Shares8585 Last modified on Sun 31 Mar 2019 19.25 EDT Share on Pinterest Americas Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood voice support after singer seeks medical treatment Reuse this contentlast_img read more