I HEART PISGAH is leading a campaign to create the Craggy Wilderness and National Scenic area, which will permanently protect 16,000 acres of old-growth forests, headwaters, world-class trails, and panoramic vistas only 15 miles from downtown Asheville, the organization said in an email. Recreation.gov has opened the lottery for the White House Easter Egg Roll. Winners can visit the South Lawn of the White House for a celebration of games, live entertainment, and the traditional egg roll. The lottery is open through Monday, February 24 and lottery results will be announced March 4. Craggy is one of the most biologically diverse forests in the country, the organization’s website says. It protects dozens of rare species and thousands of acres of old-growth forest. If efforts are successful, Craggy could become just the eleventh national scenic area in the country. About 130 people searched for Noonkester, and rescue crews recovered his body on Wednesday night. Officials plan to investigate whether Noonkester suffered a medical emergency on the trail. Foul play is not suspected. Grassroots organization launches campaign to create the Craggy Wilderness and National Scenic Area The body of Eddie Noonkester, missing on the Appalachian Trail since Friday, has been found about a mile away from mile marker 3. WSB-TV reports that Noonkester was on the trail near Amicalola Falls when he became disoriented and called a friend for help. That friend called authorities, who said they successfully pinged Noonkester’s phone but could not get in touch with him. Body of missing Appalachian Trail hiker found in Dawson County, GA The White House Easter Egg Roll is now open According to the Recreation.gov website, the White House Easter Egg Roll is a tradition that dates back to 1878. Originally, kids in Washington, DC would go to Capitol Hill every Monday after Easter for egg rolling. Members of Congress grew tired of the crowds and passed an Act of Congress prohibiting egg rolling on Capitol grounds. The event was then moved to the White House.
Press Association He added: “It (Champions League football) is big for the future of the club and the players. We have been in it for the last 15 years and we don’t want to be the players who are not part of that. “We just need to show that in the mid-season and at the start and we could hopefully be even higher than we are and not have this situation we are in. But it is very positive, and we will be fighting strong on Sunday.” With Olivier Giroud serving the last of his three-match suspension, German forward Lukas Podolski was deployed in a central striker role, scoring the opening goal on 11 minutes and Arsenal’s third just after the hour. Walcott has made no secret of his desire to the lead the attack as he had done to great effect earlier in the campaign. “Wherever the manager wants to play me, I will do that for the team. You can’t fault Lukas at all – he grabbed two goals up front and I got one as well,” said Walcott, whose close range strike put Arsenal back in charge after Shaun Maloney’s superb free-kick had briefly given the Latics hope of pulling off another great escape. “So if things are going well, there is no need to change anything, I believe. I’m the sort of player that if things are going well, don’t change them. “I am making runs in and the manager is playing me up front now and then. I can wander at times and it works – there is a lot of rotation in that front line so when it is working, don’t change it.” Theo Walcott revealed the thought of being the first Arsenal side in a generation to miss out on Champions League football has driven the squad back into the top four of the Barclays Premier League. The Gunners moved back above north London rivals Tottenham with a 4-1 win over Wigan at the Emirates Stadium, which confirmed the FA Cup winners’ relegation. “We just have great experience in knowing what to do when the time is right. It is funny. It happens every year,” said Walcott. “We tend to finish very strong. I think it is just because the players want it so much.”
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest AgCredit is inviting all military veterans and active service men to stop in to any of their offices on Friday, Nov. 10, 2017, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., to enjoy free coffee and cookies as a “thank you” for their service.Visit AgCredit.net to find an office location.
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – A billionaire doctor struck a $500 million deal Wednesday to buy the Los Angeles Times, ending the paper’s quarrelsome relationship with its Chicago-based corporate overseers and bringing it under local ownership for the first time in 18 years.The agreement between Los Angeles-based medical entrepreneur Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong (soon-shong) and Tronc Inc. marks the latest instance of a rich, civic-minded individual buying a newspaper from a big corporation.Soon-Shiong is a major shareholder of Chicago’s Tronc Inc., one of the richest men in Los Angeles and, according to Forbes, the nation’s wealthiest doctor, with a net worth of $7.8 billion.The deal includes The San Diego Union-Tribune, various titles in the California News Group and the assumption of $90 million in pension liabilities.Soon-Shiong takes over in a time of turmoil at the paper. The Times just replaced its top editor, the third switch at the position in the newsroom in six months. Publisher Ross Levinsohn had been on unpaid leave after revelations that he was a defendant in two sexual harassment lawsuits elsewhere. Tronc announced Wednesday that Levinsohn has been cleared of any wrongdoing and would be reinstated as CEO of its newly reorganized Tribune Interactive division.Journalists voted last month to unionize for the first time in the paper’s 136-year history.Clashes between the Los Angeles Times and Tribune Co., which changed its name to Tronc Inc., erupted not long after it acquired the West Coast paper in 2000. Staff at the Times bristled over what it considered a string of bad decisions made from hundreds of miles away in Chicago. Tronc owns the Chicago Tribune.The editor of the Los Angeles Times, John Carroll, who led the paper to 13 Pulitzer Prizes, resigned under heavy pressure to cut staff. Before he left, he asked an old friend and billionaire philanthropist if he would consider buying the paper.Publisher John Puerner stepped down at the Times, as did his successor, Jeffrey Johnson, shortly after.Dean Baquet, who took over for Carroll, left after 15 months. He is now the executive editor at The New York Times.The sale of the Los Angeles Times is in keeping with one of two trends in media ownership: big companies getting bigger and wealthy investors taking on newspapers as philanthropic endeavours, said Al Tompkins, a senior faculty member at the Poynter Institute.In 2013, Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos bought The Washington Post for $250 million. Boston Red Sox owner John Henry bought The Boston Globe for $70 million.“We find ourselves returning to where we were a century ago when a handful of wealthy owners controlled big influential newspapers,” Tompkins said. “Here’s the difference: The ownership today does not promise lucrative returns. You take it over knowing it isn’t nearly as profitable as it might have been 20 or 50 years ago. Today it’s a thinner margin and it gets thinner every day.”Soon-Shiong also holds a minority interest in the Los Angeles Lakers, acquired in 2011 from Magic Johnson, the team’s former superstar and current president of basketball operations.In an interview with the Times last year, Soon-Shiong acknowledged that as a major stockholder, he was unhappy with the way the Los Angeles Times was being run and felt a need to ensure its survival.“I am concerned there are other agendas, independent of the newspaper’s needs or the fiduciary obligations to the viability of the organization,” he said at the time. “My goal is to try and preserve the integrity and the viability of the newspaper.”After The Washington Post first reported a potential sale Tuesday, cheers spread through the Times newsroom. After the deal was formalized, the union representing the newspaper’s journalists congratulated Soon-Shiong.“Our readers expect and deserve the high-quality, independent journalism that has defined The Times for decades,” a union statement said Wednesday. “The LA Times Guild looks forward to working with a local owner who can help us preserve The Times as a guardian of our community and as the voice of the American West.”Maya Lau, a Times law enforcement reporter, tweeted: “Congratulations to Patrick Soon-Shiong and hooray for a return to local ownership of the Los Angeles Times & San Diego Union Tribune.”Tronc said the deal will allow it to follow a more aggressive growth strategy focused on news and digital media. Acquisitions will continue to be a big part of its plan, Tronc said Wednesday, and the company announced that it’s buying a majority stake in online product review company BestReviews for an undisclosed amount.The sale comes about a week after veteran Chicago journalist Jim Kirk was named editor in chief to replace Lewis D’Vorkin, whose short tenure was marked by clashes with staff.Kirk, 52, had briefly served in the job during a management overhaul from August until November, when D’Vorkin joined the paper. D’Vorkin will stay on with Tronc as Chief Content Officer of Tribune Interactive, the company said Wednesday.Reporters at the Times were alarmed by recent hiring of several news executives who reported to business executives, and not to news editors. That sparked fears the business side would wield undue influence in editorial matters. Traditionally, the editorial and business sides of a paper work separately to maintain journalistic credibility.A return to local ownership would restore pride at the Times, said veteran media business analyst Ken Doctor.The question is whether a new owner will do more than halt cutbacks by reinvesting, as Bezos and Henry did at their newspapers, to set the Times on a new path.“Given the huge challenges still faced by news publishing in the age of Google/Facebook ad duopoly and still-onrushing digital disruption, even a billionaire has his work cut out for him,” Doctor said.___Christopher Weber and John Rogers contributed to this report.
CALGARY – Suncor Energy Inc. says an eight-week maintenance project at Syncrude that had been scheduled to begin in April will start Thursday.The company says advancing the turnaround will permit Syncrude to deal with an unrelated issue which has been constraining capacity on a line that feeds bitumen from the mine to the upgrader.Suncor says the change in timing means Syncrude production for the first quarter is expected to be reduced to about 140,000 barrels of oil per day, net to Suncor. However, Syncrude’s forecasted production for the full year remains within the annual guidance range.The company also says oilsands operations production has benefited from reliable operations at its Firebag and MacKay River plants, but base plant operations dealt with a significant, weather-related outage in January that will cut first quarter production to approximately 400,000 bbls/d.First quarter production at Fort Hills is expected to average approximately 25,000 bbls/d, net to Suncor, while production from exploration and production for the first quarter is estimated at about 120,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.Suncor says total upstream production for the first quarter is expected to be approximately 685,000 boe/d.Companies in this story: (TSX:SU)
NEW DELHI: The Delhi Police has arrested three robbers and snatchers from Kalkaji involved in multiple cases of robbery and snatching incidents. The three have been identified as Sonu, Akshay and Akash. From the possession of accused persons robbed purse and 06 snatched & stolen mobile phones have been recovered and 08 cases have been solved. On March 16 at about 5 pm, 2 scooty borne riders robbed a purse of a pedestrian on the knife point at L-Block, Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderKalkaji. The victim raised alarm and the police team who was present nearby chased them. After a hot chase, police team successfully apprehended the scooty rider who was identified as Sonu. “Sonu is a notorious criminal and was previously arrested in 30 cases.” “From the possession of the accused robbed purse and scooty has been recovered & seized,” aid DCP South east Chinmoy Biswal. In another incident, on March 16 at about 8 PM, 2 persons on a motorcycle snatched a mobile phone of a person standing near Nehru Place bus terminal. The victim raised alarm and nearby patrolling police party intercepted the bike. However, the pillon rider managed to escape. The motorcycle rider was identified as Akshay, 24 years. In another incident, on March 16, team of Kalkaji police station arrested accused Akasah. He came to Nehru Place market to sell stolen and snatched mobile phones.